IMentorAfrica’s mission is to contribute to the development of Africa by creating a platform where Africans can LinkUp and share the gift of Mentorship.
A. The Information We Collect and How We Use It
When you register with IMentorAfrica and create a user profile to participate in IMentorAfrica 's programs, you provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, your email address, your country, your referees contact, you and your pictures, and your password.
If you choose to create a mentor/mentee/both profile on IMentorAfrica, certain profile information will be collected by the Website. This may include your name, country of residence, background, op 3 accomplishments in last 3 years, Personal goals for the next 2 years, Interested Mentorship category, preferred meeting mode, Philosophy of life and additional information you provide when you register with IMentorAfrica.
When you access the Website, we collect your IP address, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track movements in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. Information such as your IP address is not linked to personally identifiable information. This information is gathered for all Website users.
By sending communications to other users (including, but not limited to, mentor/mentee requests), you consent to IMentorAfrica storing the conversations you have with other users on its servers owned or controlled by us. You understand that even if you delete a conversation you have with another user, that user may also be able to save it. You further agree that we may retain, use, and scan copies of your conversations for a limited time solely to filter spam, detect viruses, test and improve our messaging services, and to deliver personalized features to you.
By registering with IMentorAfrica, you are permitted to create a personal profile, form relationships with other users, send messages to other registered users, perform searches and queries, and join groups and social networks.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Website, we will ask you for information needed to send the invitation, such as your friend's email address. We will send your friend an email with your name listed in the invitation inviting him or her to visit the site. IMentorAfrica stores this information to send invitations, to allow you to see invitations or referrals you have sent, and to track the success of our referral program.
IMentorAfrica uses the information you provide and information we collect in numerous ways such as:
- To match you with either a mentor or a mentee. Once a match is made, your name, email address, and the URL of your public IMentorAfrica profile and associated content will be supplied to the person you have been matched with.
- To communicate with you regarding our services, the mentoring process, upcoming IMentorAfrica events or initiatives and paid public third party advertisements on the website.
- To evaluate and improve the IMentorAfrica services and the Website and offer personalized features.
- We will also use non-identifiable, aggregate information to guide our program efforts and report to sponsors, stakeholders, external partners and any relevant third party/public.
- With your explicit permission, we may use your personal details to promote IMentorAfrica. You will be contacted before any release of such information for IMentorAfrica's promotional purposes, and you may withdraw any permission that you may grant at any time.
- Without your explicit permission, we may use your testimonials or successful Mentorship story on IMentorAfrica to promote IMentorAfrica. You will not be contacted before any release of such information for IMentorAfrica's promotional purposes.
- IMentorAfrica may send you service-related announcements from time to time through the general operation of the service. For instance, if you receive a mentoring request or an offer for mentoring advice, you may receive an email or other message alerting you to that fact.
B. Display of Information Obtained by IMentorAfrica
If you choose to create a profile on IMentorAfrica, certain profile information will be collected and displayed publicly on the Website. This will include your name, the country where you live, and your membership with a group.
If you choose to create a mentor/mentee profile on IMentorAfrica, certain profile information will be collected and displayed publicly on the Website. This may include your name, country of residence, background, op 3 accomplishments in last 3 years, Personal goals for the next 2 years, Interested Mentorship category, preferred meeting mode, Philosophy of life and additional information you provide when you register with IMentorAfrica.
Also, profile information you submit to IMentorAfrica may be made available to third party search engines. This is primarily so potential mentors or mentees can find you and send a mentor request or an offer for mentoring advice. People who see your name in searches will be able to access your profile information by clicking on your name or profile picture thumbnail.
When you use the Website, certain information you post or share, such as answers to questions, messages, photos or other information, may be shared with other users. All such sharing of information is done at your own risk. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information in your profile or when posting comments, messages, photos or other items, this information may become publicly available.
Meeting mode. Kindly ensure you consider the possible risk associated with each suggested meeting mode before agreeing on such with a prospective mentor/mentee. Face-to-face meeting mode is grossly discouraged on IMentorAfrica. All Face-to-face meeting at your own risk.
IMentorAfrica may provide information in your profile without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We may do this for purposes such as personalizing advertisements and promotions.
C. Sharing and Disclosing Your Information
IMentorAfrica shares and discloses your information with third parties (i) to develop and offer the services, (ii) with your consent, (iii) as legally required or (iv) as described below:
- If, when you register with IMentorAfrica, you identify yourself as a member of a group or corporation that is affiliated with or has a relationship with IMentorAfrica, IMentorAfrica may provide that group or corporation with individual non-anonymous reports, that may include any or all of your profile data, detailing your use of the Website and any feedback you or your matches have reported to IMentorAfrica regarding your mentoring relationships. The group or company may use this information for the purposes of facilitating the IMentorAfrica program, measuring the activity and evaluating the outcomes of their participants in IMentorAfrica, and promoting IMentorAfrica and the services the organization provides to its members.
- IMentorAfrica may provide reports containing aggregated, anonymous information to third party entities including but not limited to groups, companies or organizations that IMentorAfrica may have a relationship with.
- With or without your explicit permission, IMentorAfrica may use your details, including name, likeness, and biographical information, in connection with highlighting successes of the IMentorAfrica programs.
- In order to promote and notify prospective users of the volunteer opportunities available on the Website, as well as mentoring opportunities, some features of your profile may be exported to Third Party Sites that promote small business development and/or volunteerism, and social networks that cater to small business owners and business professionals. Such features that may be exported to and displayed on such Third Party Sites include but are not limited to your name, country of residence, background, top 3 accomplishments in last 3 years, Personal goals for the next 2 years, Interested Mentorship category, preferred meeting mode, Philosophy of life and additional information you provide when you register with IMentorAfrica.
- IMentorAfrica may provide information to certain third party companies which we may contract to perform services to you on our behalf. These services may include postal and e-mail delivery, customer relationship management, customer service, development and research, data analysis, fraud protection, and payment processing (e.g., through Interswitch, PayPal or a similar service which collects and processes sponsorship, donations and advert payments on our behalf). The third parties we contract with for the provision of these services will be permitted to obtain only such personal information as they require delivering the services and only using such information for their provision of the applicable services to us.
- We may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. Additionally, we may share account or other information when we believe it is necessary to comply with law, to protect our interests or property, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through IMentorAfrica or using the IMentorAfrica name, or to prevent threats to the physical safety of any person or violation of the IMentorAfrica policy. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
D. Communications from the Site
Users will occasionally receive information on IMentorAfrica services, messages regarding participation in IMentorAfrica, and newsletters, IMentorAfrica-approved adverts by third party institutions/marketing communications. Users cannot opt out of certain communications that are necessary for them to receive in order to participate in IMentorAfrica. Users who have deactivated their accounts can opt-out of these mailings.
E. Customer Service
We communicate with users to provide requested services and in regards to issues relating to their account. We reply via email, regular mail or phone, depending on the nature of the communication.
This Website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that IMentorAfrica is not responsible for the privacy or other practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Website.
From time-to-time, we request information from users via surveys. The requested information may include contact information (such as name and email address) or may be linked to your IMentorAfrica account that already holds this information. Contact information may be used to follow up on the survey. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this Website and IMentorAfrica's programs. Users' personally identifiable information obtained through such surveys is not shared with third parties unless we give prior notice and choice. Though we may use an intermediary to conduct these surveys, they may not use users' personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes.
IMentorAfrica asks participants to submit at least one reference to us before being accepted into the program. IMentorAfrica stores this information on each users profile page for the sole purpose of aiding other users who may wish to conduct reference checks on intending mentors or mentees.
J. Correcting/Updating/Deleting/Deactivating Personal Information
If a user's personally identifiable information changes, or if a user no longer desires our service, such user may correct, update or delete/deactivate such personally identifiable information by using the appropriate features provided on the Website.
K. Notification of Changes
If, however, we are going to use users' personally identifiable information (i.e. name) in a manner different from that stated at the time of collection, we will notify users via email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their personal information in this different manner.
7B, New Court Place, Yaba, Lagos
Date of Last Revision: April 21, 2014.
IMentorAfrica’s mission is to contribute to the development of Africa by creating a platform where Africans can lean-in and share the gift of Mentorship
2. Registration Data; Account Security.
You agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information on any registration forms on the Website, including any mentor profile or mentee profile submitted by you ("Registration Data"); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to us, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account. You hereby authorize IMentorAfrica to verify the information supplied in your IMentorAfrica Application when and as IMentorAfrica deems necessary and advisable, and to the extent permitted by applicable law. Notwithstanding the foregoing, IMentorAfrica shall be under no obligation to verify the information supplied in your IMentorAfrica Application and may rely on such information without taking any further action. You consent to receiving communications and notices from IMentorAfrica at the email address you provide in your Registration Data or otherwise elect in your account settings.
3. Non Commercial Use.
4. Proprietary Rights in Website Content; Limited License.
"IMentorAfrica", the " IMentorAfrica" logo and other IMentorAfrica graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, scripts and service names are our trademarks or trade dress in the U.S. and/or other countries. Our trademarks and trade dress may not be used, including as part of trademarks and/or as part of domain names, in connection with any product or service in any manner that is likely to cause confusion and may not be copied, imitated, or used, in whole or in part, without our prior written permission.
6. User Content Posted on the Website.
a. You understand and agree that IMentorAfrica may (but is not obligated to) review and delete (without notice) any content, messages, or profiles provided by you (collectively, "User Content") that in the sole judgment of IMentorAfrica violate this Agreement or which might be offensive, illegal, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of others. You are solely responsible at your sole cost and expense for creating backup copies and replacing any User Content you post on the Website or provide to us.
b. By posting User Content to the Website, you hereby grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right, power and authority to grant to IMentorAfrica an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, distribute, reformat, translate and excerpt such User Content and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content for any purpose, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. If a User to deactivate their account on IMentorAfrica, their profile and mentoring requests will no longer be available on the Website. However, some information may remain on the Website after a User deactivates their profile, including, but not limited to, a history of messages, mentoring offers and matches associated with that User on the mentoring activity history of other Users.
c. You agree to the following:
- You will not send or otherwise post unauthorized commercial communications to Users (such as spam).
- You will not collect Users' information, or otherwise access the Website, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our permission.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any User.
- You will not post content that is hateful, threatening, pornographic, that contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence, or that violates applicable law.
- You will not promote alcohol-related or other mature content without appropriate age-based restrictions.
- You will not use the Website to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this Term of Use.
- You will not post anyone's National identity, driver's license, credit card, debit card, or bank account numbers or other similar content on the Website.
- You will not use IMentorAfrica if you are located in a country embargoed by any of the African countries, or are on African countries Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals.
8. Intellectual Property Rights Complaints.
When we receive proper notification of alleged copyright infringement, we will investigate and may remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing material and may terminate, in our sole discretion, the accounts of repeat infringers in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other applicable law. We may also, at our sole discretion, limit access to the Website and/or terminate the memberships of any Users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement. If you believe that any material on the Website infringes upon any copyright which you own or control, you may flag that content as inappropriate. IMentorAfrica will assess the material and may remove the material from public viewing.
9. Third Party Websites and Content.
The Website contains (or you may be sent through the Website) links to other web sites ("Third Party Websites") as well as articles, photographs, text, items and other content belonging to or originating from third parties (the "Third Party Components"). Such Third Party Websites and Third Party Components are not investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness by us, and we are not responsible for the acts or omissions of any Third Party Websites or Third Party Components. If you decide to leave the Website and access the Third Party Websites or to use or install any Third Party Components, you do so at your own risk and our terms and policies no longer govern. You should review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any Third Party Website to which you navigate from the Website or relating to any Third Party Components.
10. Content Feeds and Viral Distribution Widgets.
In order to promote the volunteer opportunities available on the Website, some features of your profile may be exported to Third Party Sites to notify prospective users of the kinds of volunteer opportunities that exist on the Website. Such features that may be exported to Third Party Sites include, but are not limited to, your name, country of residence, background, op 3 accomplishments in last 3 years, Personal goals for the next 2 years, Interested Mentorship category, preferred meeting mode, Philosophy of life and additional information you provide when you register with IMentorAfrica, interested mentoring category, mentoring request summary, mentoring request expertise, profile URL and mentoring request URL.
11. User Messaging.
By sending communications to other Users (including, but not limited to, mentor/mentee requests), you consent to IMentorAfrica storing the conversations you have with other Users on its servers owned or controlled by us. You understand that even if you delete a conversation you have with another User, that User may also be able to save it. You further agree that we may retain, use, and scan copies of your conversations for a limited time solely to filter spam, detect viruses, and test and improve our messaging services. We may also scan the text of your conversations in order to filter spam and detect viruses.
12. Disclaimer of Warranties.
a) YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE, IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE WEBSITE, AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE, ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. IMENTORAFRICA AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, LICENSORS AND USERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM TO YOU ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. FOR PURPOSES OF CLARITY, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ALL DECISIONS MADE BY YOU WITH RESPECT TO AND AS A RESULT OF PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE ARE YOUR'S ALONE, AND IMENTORAFRICA DOES NOT MONITOR OR VERIFY THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE PROVIDED ON OR VIA THE WEBSITE AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE.
b) IMENTORAFRICA AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, LICENSORS AND USERS MAKE NO WARRANTY TO YOU THAT (i) THE WEBSITE, AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE, WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (ii) THE WEBSITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE WEBSITE, AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE, WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR GENERATE BENEFIT (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ECONOMIC BENEFIT) TO YOU; AND (iv) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE WEBSITE.
c) ANY MATERIAL OR INFORMATION DOWNLOADED, OTHERWISE OBTAINED OR USED THROUGH THE USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE IS MADE AVAILABLE AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR AND HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION WITH RESPECT TO ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM, INTERNET ACCESS, BUSINESS, REPUTATION, DOWNLOAD OR DISPLAY DEVICE, OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL OR INFORMATION.
d) NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM IMENTORAFRICA OR THROUGH OR FROM THE WEBSITE, AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE, SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY AND ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
13. Limitation on Liability.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT IMENTORAFRICA AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, LICENSORS AND USERS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, PUNITIVE, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, COSTS, LOSSES OR EXPENSES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF IMENTORAFRICA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM: (a) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE OR ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE ; (b) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (c) STATEMENTS, ADVICE, PARTICIPATING IN MENTORING RELATIONSHIPS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE WEBSITE; OR (d) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE WEBSITE, AND ANY PROGRAMS OR SERVICES OFFERED VIA THE WEBSITE.
14. Exclusions and Limitations.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OF SECTIONS 12 AND 13 MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU TO THE EXTENT SO PROHIBITED BY LAW.
15. Disputes with other Users.
You are solely responsible for your interactions with Users and any disputes that may result from such interactions. IMentorAfrica reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other Users.
16. Disputes with IMentorAfrica.
If there is any dispute about or involving the Website, you agree that the dispute will be governed by the laws of the Nigeria without regard to its conflict of law provisions and will be resolved in a state or federal court located in Lagos, Nigeria. You agree to personal jurisdiction by and venue in Lagos, Nigeria.
You agree to indemnify and hold IMentorAfrica, its subsidiaries and affiliates, and each of their directors, officers, agents, contractors, partners and employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorney's fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Website, any User Content you post on or through the Website, your conduct in connection with your participation in IMentorAfrica's programs and/or arising from a breach of this Agreement.